Monday, December 27, 2010

I Am The Captain of My Soul


   I believe that sometime the hardest thing in life is to be an individual and not conform to what the majority of society wants you to be. Everyday people are born originals but somehow through mainstream media, political correctness, and social pressure they are influenced and told to be like others. To care more about what the majority of people think then themselves which is backwards thinking. 
   The great thing about basketball is that it's the "Ultimate Spectator Sport" no disrespect but this isn't football where the fans are hundreds of feet away from you. There is no helmet to hide behind, and you can't choose to only be good at one side of the ball offensively or defensively. In basketball the fans can literally touch you, they can see your every move out there. They can tell by your face if your scared on pressure free throws, or see the vein in your forehead popping out from the intensity of an "And One Dunk'.
    In the world of basketball "I" side with the people that believe basketball reveals the blue print of character that every person has, this starts from the very first moment you beginning to practice the sport. People can hide their weaknesses in other sports, or pretend to be something their not in life, but on that "Hollow Ground" out there on the court the truth always comes to light.
    Let me give some an example; there are a lot of players that "LOVE" only to take three pointers, shoot jump shots, never pass, and play zero defense. This player complains about others but never point the finger at themselves. Players like this play basketball not for the love of the game but for the fans, the attention, their chance to show off, or for the limelight. At sometime in their life someone didn't show them the basic life principals of hard work, sacrifice, teamwork, taking responsibility, and most of all pride. This player needs pride in who they are and how they represent their family, school, and their self.
    I travel high_school-to-high_school, college to college and I see this type of player where ever I go. The best thing that I’ve noticed is that in some of these good basketball programs these players that are selfish get benched if they don’t act in the best interest of the team. However, in the few great programs those players either buy in 100% or never play for that team. They know the culture of basketball there will not permit a players like them because it's all about the TEAM and not the INDIVIDUAL regardless of talent. 
   I love basketball because of the raw talents, the thrill of a comeback victory, the agony of defeat in a Cinderella story, the idea that five can act as one, the emotions of the coaches on the sidelines, the perseverance players go through physically and outside the court that transcends them to another level of play.     The mental toughness it take to go out there toe to toe, man to man, punch for punch and never back down. 
    The thing I love most about this game is the feeling you get when you walk into an arena no matter if it’s tens, hundreds, or thousands of people rooting against you, I get that quick shiver of goose bumps but then you hear the calm voice of your coach, the confident look in your teams eyes, and then you think to yourself I will not hide in this locker room or bury myself at the end of the bench. Since “It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.”(Ernest Henley)

10 comments:

  1. Another headringer Malik. I am not sure whether its spelling and grammatical or not but i did find some places where its like the thing you were typing in put the wrong word in. strait instead of straight, and bench instead of benched. I just wanted you to know so haters don't use that against ya. I love this blog, and I will be reading it constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good look for the love my dude however, the "strait" was direct from a quote it's like old english writing and the "Benched" that was a good look! thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem my dude... I just wanted to be sure... no bs tainting the good words....

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, what I like about this blog is that there are probably a lot of people who feel the same way as you Malik and don't know the words to express themselves. These are the words my man and it's so true in what your saying. Keep up the great work big man and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a Father To A Son...
    I always said Son, Since childhood. If Your going to do something be the Best at it. If Not Leave It Alone And Move On To The Next Thing. I see now you found what your at Best of, BEING YOURSELF. Keep on Preaching... LUV U SON!!!! AAAAAAAAA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I am the Captin of my Soul. Deep, real deep. You hit the nail on the head when you stated that, "this player complains about others but never point the finger at themselves." This is the most truthful statement you could have wrote because any great athlete knows that there is always something that you could have doen better, win or lose. The greatest players also know that your never playing against an opponent outside of your self. Keep it up Malik, tell it like it is........T Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are quite the writer Malik! How refreshing to see someone encouraging team play, and unselfish basketball. I wish more people shared your opinion. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The greatest aspect of team sports, in my mind, is to have a group of individuals come together as one to accomplish a common goal. Real leaders are able to identify what they are real good at and recognize the strengths of the rest of the group. When pieces of the puzzle come together, magic happens! There is NO greater satisfaction than watching individuals sacrifice their egos for the good of the group and have that group achieve unexpected levels of success. TRUE leaders make others around them better! By the way, these are life lessons as well as athletic lessons.

    Write on, Malik!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog Malik, your love of the game comes through!
    Coach Curland

    ReplyDelete
  10. talent is overrated is one best books out there!! love it malik!

    ReplyDelete